Passed OCP 12c test

Well, I finally passed the Oracle Certified Professional (OCP) 12c upgrade exam, 1Z0-060.  I got 86% right on the new features section and 78% correct on the general DBA section.  So, that means I missed roughly 7 questions on each section which was more than I expected because I felt good about all of my answers.

I’m happy with the three resources I used which are:

1. Self Test software – $99
  2. Matthew Morris book – $10
  3. Sam Alapati book – $44

I spent a lot of time in the 12c manuals.  Be careful, though, because the 12.1.0.2 manuals just came out and some things are different in 12.1.0.2 from the test, because the test designers based the test on 12.1.0.1.

I built two Linux virtual machines for test preparation.  On one I installed the 12.1.0.1 database software and created a CDB and a non-CDB for testing.  On the other I installed the grid software and database software and created a CDB on ASM disks.  I spent many hours testing 12c features on these two environments and three databases.

I learned a ton both about new 12c features and features that exist in earlier versions, but it was a long and tedious process and I’m glad to finally be done.

– Bobby

About Bobby

I live in Chandler, Arizona with my wife and three daughters. I work for US Foods, the second largest food distribution company in the United States. I've been working as an Oracle database administrator and PeopleSoft administrator since 1994. I'm very interested in Oracle performance tuning.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Passed OCP 12c test

1. cdcox says:

Hi Bobby, congratulations on passing the exam… and many thanks for sharing your tips with us.

• Bobby says:

:) No, I’m done with certifications for now. Hopefully three more years until I have to worry about Oracle 13 OCP.

2. afocante says:

Can you compare your both tests?

• Bobby says:

On May 1st I got 66% correct on the new features, and 62% correct on the key skills. At that time I only had the Self Test software and it only had 50 questions and they only related to the new features. So, three months of study with the three materials listed, including the updated Self Test questions which included the key skills, brought me up to 86% and 78%.

3. jimroll says:

Congratulations!

4. Pete says:

Of the two books, which covered the “key dba” best? Like you, passed 12c, but had not prepared for the key section.

• Bobby says:

Pete,

Matthew Morris’ book was the only one of the two that covered the Key DBA skills. The testing software that came with Sam Alapati’s book included Key DBA skills questions, as did the Self Test software. I think it would be safest to buy all three just for the Key DBA skills guidance because that section of the OCP test covers such a broad area and you need something to focus your study to something reasonable. You are guaranteed to have questions that these three resources do not cover so you need to maximize what you can get out of them. Also, I missed several questions in areas that I had studied so it’s worth hitting this section pretty hard to be sure you pass it. But, Matthew Morris’ book was the only one that covered that section of the test in the written part of the book.

– Bobby

5. satya Aditham says:

Bobby, Congratulations on passing the exam… After 10g I was getting ready for 11g and direct upgrade to 12c popped-up now. Still in a dilemma whether to complete 11g first or go straight to 12c. Ur advise is highly appreciated.

Regards
    Satya

• Bobby says:

Satya,

Everyone’s situation is different so it may depend on your own personal goals, but I think that getting your 11g OCP first makes the most sense. You need to know the 11g features anyway, and the 12c test builds on the features that were new in 11g. The cost of the tests themselves are small compared to the salary that an Oracle DBA could make so I wouldn’t let the cost of the tests or the books/software that you use to prepare for the test affect your decision. It could be that after studying for and passing the 11g test you will have an easier time passing the 12c test because the 11g stuff will be fresh in your mind.

– Bobby

6. Hi Bobby,

Congratulations.

I am planning to write OCP12c. Also bought Sam Alapati’s Book and just placed the order for Matthew Morris’ book.

I have a question. I have examined the syllabus.

I understood they are two sections. Section 1 is purely on 12c NF and Section 2 is KEY DBA Skills.

I have got confused after going througth the Sam Alapati’s Total Tester.
    I have selected KEY DBA Skills and I am also getting questions on 12c.

Seems Section 2 needs to be more cautious. Section 1 we do have clear list of syllabus and material.

Section 2 syllabus is ambiguous. Seems the questions can be asked on any topic.

I would like to know, how did you prepare for Section 2.
    My concerns are How did you prepare for the Section 2.
    Matthew Morris’ book is enough to cover Section 2 ? What else is needed ?

I have purchased Actual Test paper for this. Hope that will work.

please also email me to pattu64@yahoo.com

Thanks,
    Srini Krovvidi

• Bobby says:

Srini,

I did three things to prepare for the second section of the OCP 12c upgrade test.

1 – After I failed the test I returned to the office and made notes about what I remembered about the second part of the test.

2 – I read through the second section of Matthew Morris’s book three times and studied things in it that I wasn’t familiar with.

3 – I downloaded the latest questions from the self test software and used the questions on it that related to the second part of the test.

4 – I focused on the total tester questions that related to the second part of the test.

Unfortunately, you can’t do number 1 without taking and failing the test once as I did. But you can do the other three. The second section of the test is the hardest because it covers too wide of an area to realistically study for. All you can do is use what materials you can find to limit your study to something manageable and then take a crack at the test. If you fail then come back and study the areas you remember being on the test.

– Bobby

• pattu64 says:

Hi Bobby,

I am planning to give the exam in two weeks from now.

Prepared well for the 12c NF. But I still have some fears about the KEY SKILLS.

My concerns are :

1) Do you remember that the KEY SKILL SETs Questions provided in the self test software
        are the same as in Exam..How much percentage.. you predict that both are same.

2) I am preparing not only those questions provided in the KEY SKILL SET of Actual Tests
        But all the related basic stuff they have mentioned in those questions.
        Also comparing the original syllabus, to check for any missing topics.

3) Realized that 1Z0-053 (Part 2 of 11g OCP) is also good source for this KEY SKILL SET.
        browsing all those question and answers as well.

Please anwer me on point number 1 as I can not afford to fail this exam.
        11g SQL Tuning (1Z0-117) failed two times..

Thanks,
        Srini Krovvidi

• Bobby says:

Srini,

I really can’t comment on what is or is not on the test. Failing the test isn’t the end of the world, but your best bet is to over prepare. The three resources I listed in this blog post helped me pass the key skills section. Others have told me that they reviewed their 11g test preparation materials and that helped them on the key skills. But, nothing guarantees that these materials will cover what is on the test that you take, which may differ from the one I took. At the end of the day, no matter how you do on the test, the study of these materials will only help you be more effective in any DBA job. Good luck on your test!

– Bobby

7. Anonymous says:

Hi Bobby,
    Thank you for comments, I am preparing for 12c OCP test. I will have to study based on your advise. are there any practice test software for second part of 12c OCP test? I have purchased self test practice test to study for it for first part, but as everyone else, worried about second part only, since I have OCP for 10g only and not done 11g yet.

• Bobby says:

The self test software includes questions related to the second part of the test. The CD included with Sam Alapati’s book also includes questions related to the second part of the test. Plus, Matthew Morris’ book has a long section covering the topics that are in the second part of the test. I would use these three as a guide to studying for that part of the test. Also, think about any major areas that you are not very familiar with. i.e. If you have not worked much with partitioning maybe look at that. If you are rusty at RMAN look at that. Worst case scenario is that you fail the test and then make notes afterward about questions you remember being difficult then study that area.